GE Aviation provides a range of avionics including aviation computing systems, controls and interface products, navigation and guidance, crew information systems, vehicle health and data management systems for commercial aircraft.
Aviation computing systems
GE's expertise in modular processing systems and ability to integrate third-party software led to high integrity systems on a number of aircraft platforms. GE's open architecture integrates the computers, networks and interfacing electronics, and hosts avionics and utilities functions providing major cost benefits and future growth capability.
Controls and Interface Products & Systems
GE’s configurable controls and interface systems are required for today's modular and simplified vehicle system architectures. This product family is comprised of flexible remote interfacing products tailored to meet a range of applications - from distributed Input/Output (I/O) and sensor management to actuation control.
Navigation and Guidance Systems
Since 1985, GE's flight management system (FMS) has been on every Boeing 737, and since 1996, GE’s FMS, with our Thales partner, has been flying on Airbus 320/330/340's.
GE's flight management system manages and optimizes an entire flight plan. The FMS optimized flight profile enables reduced fuel burn and CO2 emissions and reduced noise, resulting in significant fuel savings for customers. In the future the FMS optimized flight profile will enable increased air traffic capacity by communicating to ATC the future intent of the aircraft allowing more efficient aircraft separation methods.
Crew Information Systems
GE has a long history of introducing the very latest display technology into the Aviation environment. Our modular designs enable maximum reuse with the latest design techniques to ensure delivery of world-class, affordable through-life products. GE develops products and systems that are essential in safety-critical aircraft applications for new or retrofit civil and military platforms.
GE has a range of displays that are stand-alone or as part of an integrated system for new or retrofit civil and military customers. Modular designs enable maximum reuse with the latest design techniques to ensure delivery of world-class, affordable through-life products.
Vehicle Health and Data Management Systems
GE supports the full mission cycle with end-to-end maintenance, safety and training information systems for civil and military customers. Already in use on thousands of aircraft, these systems have been further developed for new aircraft like the A380, B787, F-35 and G650.
- GE Aviation developed and supplied:
- the first military solid state flight recorder leading to significant air safety improvements in the early 1980's, with 10,000+ recorders installed on commercial & military aircraft to date.
- the world’s first commercial helicopter HUMS 23 years ago, and has led the market in health monitoring systems for military rotorcraft for over 20 years.
- the world leading Data Transfer and Storage systems on military platforms with 12,000+ installed worldwide
- the Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) technology that powers Gulfstream's PlaneConnect™ Health & Trend Monitoring system, which monitors more than 10,000 aircraft parameters during flight, saving operators thousands of dollars per year by preventing missed trips and markedly reducing unscheduled maintenance.