Photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean
GE provides advanced gas turbine cycles for ship propulsion.
Propulsion architecture is based on the power required, the duty cycle, environmental concerns and many other factors. Below are a few of the most popular cycles used for ship propulsion employing GE Marine gas turbines:
- Combined gas turbine system mechanical drive - driving propellers (COGAG)
- Combined gas turbine and diesel mechanical drive (CODAG)
- Combined gas turbine or diesel mechanical drive (CODOG)
- Hybrid drive options: combined diesel electric or gas turbine (CODOG)
- Integrated electric propulsion combined gas turbine and/or diesel electric